Saturday, January 30, 2010

Boomer-Straight Shooter


Perfect I’m Not, Boomer on Beer, Brawls, Backaches, and Baseball by David Wells; 2003; William Morrow, New York; 414 pages; 796.357 W453p/0-06-050824-8; 6/18-6/24/07
I collect autographed cards of San Diego Padres players and I have sent David a bunch, even including sending him extras to keep if he will sign just one for me.  But I never get anything back from him.  All I want is one card of him in a Padres uniform signed.
Now to the book, an autobiography focusing mainly on baseball.  We get a look at where David came from, raised by a single mother and her Hell’s Angels friends, Wells found that he had a talent for pitching.  Once he gets signed this is a baseball book, but not a nasty book like Juiced, or even an expose like  Ball Four, but David’s story in pro baseball.  Some people he likes, some he doesn’t.  You can’t argue with him cause it’s just his experiences.  A straight shooter, with good insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment